[Comtec Announce] [Core Network] Service Alert 19th November 2014 - Update 1

David Croft david at sargasso.net
Wed Nov 19 22:45:25 GMT 2014

This is an incident notification regarding Internet connectivity.

Date: Wednesday, 19th November 2014
Start time: 14:50 GMT
End time: 22:00 GMT

Services affected:

Internet access.

The LONAP peering exchange experienced issues which had a knock-on
effect on Internet connectivity across UK ISPs. We resolved the issue
at the time by disabling our connections to LONAP, and have now
restored them.

Report:

Due to an instability on the LONAP peering exchange causing packet
loss and dropped sessions, we shut down our connections in order to
reduce the impact to our customers.

Traffic was routed via resilient alternate peering and transit routes
and no further packet loss occurred.

At 15:35 we were informed by LONAP that the issue was a result of high
CPU across all switches caused by a large volume of multicast traffic
from a reseller member port. The port was shut down and continues to
be shut down until the member has demonstrated that they have resolved
their issue. LONAP is continuing to investigate why port-security did
not automatically shut down the affected port, however the exchange
has been stable since that time.

As it is our policy not to make non-emergency engineering changes
during working hours, we did not re-establish our connections until
22:00 GMT. We are observing no continuing problems, although we will
continue to monitor carefully.

This is the final update.

Comtec NOC was tracking this issue under ticket [#OTX-874-67976].

Regards,

David Croft

--
David Croft
IT - Network Engineering

Sargasso Networks
http://www.sargasso.net/

For support enquiries please always contact support at sargasso.net
and not any named individual. UK: 0845 034 5020 USA: 212-400-1694