[Comtec Announce] 21CN Service Outage - 17/04/12 11:08 - Update #12

David Croft david at comtec.net.uk
Wed Apr 18 00:07:26 BST 2012

Apologise for the lateness of this update. As you may imagine, BT
faults management are very busy today with this major service outage.

We have gathered the following information from BT:

Around 11am this morning, a tunnelling machine operated by a third
party dug through the 250-odd fibres that link Leytonstone, Poplar and
Deptford exchanges together. Poplar in particular services the London
Docklands area, in which a majority of the UK's internet
infrastructure is located.

New replacement fibre has been laid into the ground and splicing of
the old and new fibre has now commenced in a prioritised order.
Emergency service circuits will be reconnected first and then customer
circuits should begin to be spliced from around 01:00.

We have also had confirmation on the estimated time to repair. BT are
still saying that the that the estimated repair time is 24 hours from
18:00 this evening, however they also have said that individual
circuits will start to work as and when the relevant fibres are
connected.

BT expect all splicing to be completed by morning, though they cannot
guarantee this due to the nature of the work required.

Customers with redundant connections into our network should note that
they are also "at-risk" to further fibre break until this work is
completed.

We will remain in contact with BT throughout and update accordingly.

The next update will be at 08:00, or earlier if there are further developments.

Regards,

Comtec Network Operation Centre

--
David Croft
Lead Network Engineer

Comtec Enterprises Ltd
Comtec House
46a Albert Road North
Reigate Industrial Estate
Reigate
Surrey RH2 9EL

Tel: 0845 899 1400
Fax: 0845 899 1401
www.comtec.com

For urgent operational issues please always contact noc at comtec.com
or 0845 899 1423 and not any named individual.