[Sargasso Announce] E-mail virus protection service launched

David david at sargasso.net
Fri Feb 6 22:11:57 GMT 2004

We are pleased to announce the immediate launch of our virus protection
service to all clients using our mail servers. Incoming e-mail messages
are checked for known viruses and will be discarded if one is found.

Please note that this service comes with no guarantees and will always err
on the side of caution, not blocking potentially legitimate e-mail. It
also may not block new virus threats until our vendors release updates. We
strongly urge you to continue to use an antivirus product on your PC.

The recent explosion of MyDoom/Novarg and derivative viruses has been a
plague to us all. Sargasso began taking steps early last week to evaluate
and load-test antivirus solutions on our offline staging servers. As
e-mail is one of our more critical services, it has taken some time to
become confident that it will successfully handle the thousands of e-mail
messages that pass through our servers every minute. We continue to
monitor the situation carefully.

We hope you find this free service useful. Please contact me if you have
any questions or comments.

Best regards,

David.

--